Re: menus, Name/GenericName

Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 06:47 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:

Dariusz J. Garbowski wrote:

"Movie Player", "PDF Viewer", "Email", "Browser", whatever... These names, although perhaps more helpful for those who are unfamiliar or less familiar with Linux software, are quite meaningless for those who know what app exactly they want to run. What will start when I choose "Some player" or "Some viewer" thing? Worse, it changes from release to release and from distro to distro... This is one of the reasons why I find myself avoiding menus completely and still running everything from commandline -- at least I know what I run ;-)

Amen brother. I've harped on that several times.

IMO, the correct/proper solution is already available. The (free) .desktop standard already allows for each app to have
Name=
GenericName=

So, if Evolution's case,
Name=Evolution
GenericName=Email

IIRC that was also rejected, because it didn't work with translations
when combining the two names (left-to-right, right-to-left text?)

Huh? What's broken about Name (GenericName) and/or (GenericName) Name ???

Never have I seen it suggested that Name and GenericName be simply concatenated. (Don't forget the parens).

If Fedora doesn't agree with this, they ought work upstream with freedesktop.org instead of inventing a new (more broken IMO) standard/scheme.

For non-defaults I think it was decided:
Name=Evolution Email
GenericName=Email  (or whatever the translation is).

Which looks retarded for KDE users using either "Name (GenericName)" or "GenericName (Name)" menu displays.

-- Rex