Re: Orphaned packages looking for new maintainers

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 07:41:56AM -0000, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> > Hm, I'm not seeing these orphaned and I pretty sure I have never maintained them:
> > https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/perl-IO-Socket-Timeout
> > https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/perl-PerlIO-via-Timeout
> >
> > bug in the script?
>
> They have been since adapted by @pghmcfc.
>
> You have never maintained them, but your package depends on them:
>
>   perl-Redis requires perl(IO::Socket::Timeout)
>   gitolite3 requires perl(Redis)
>   pagure requires gitolite3
>
> (Also perl-IO-Socket-Timeout requires perl(PerlIO::via::Timeout).)
>
> No bug in the script.  Although not the first "I have never maintained those" reaction at all. How to make it easier to understand by affected maintainers?

The top of the section says: "Affected (co)maintainers", so I took it as I am a
co-maintainer of that package and thus I'm affected by it being orphaned.

Maybe simply saying: "Affected (co)maintainers (either directly or via packages'
dependencies)" would make it clearer that the list takes into account the
dependency tree.

I think the best/clearer output may just be something like:
pingou: perl-IO-Socket-Timeout (in the dependency tree for pagure), foo (in the
dependency tree for bar)...
but it may be too much pain for the gain.

Pierre