Re: deduplicating noarch subpackages

On 2/13/20 7:26 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Neal Gompa wrote:
>> My instinct is that this wouldn't work, but I'm not certain. Have you
>> tried this change with a scratch build? Scratch builds run the same
>> checks that normal builds do, and would be a good way to verify if
>> your theory is true.

OK, I ran a scratch build where only x86_64 built the noarch wasm
target. I can't tell if koji actually ran the checks though.

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=41472922

> %ifarch-ing noarch subpackages (note: noarch SUBpackages of arch-dependent
> packages) actually works and does the right thing in Koji. (Koji will still
> copy them to all the architectures, even if they were built only on one of
> them.) As far as I know, this was implemented that way to make QEMU
> firmwares work (which are built on and for a specific architecture, and then
> shipped as noarch packages for all of them so that the architecture can be
> emulated).

Ah, I suppose you are referring to ipxe? It looks like that package has
always been built this way, as was gpxe before it. Even further back was
etherboot which did this since etherboot-5.4.4-13.fc11, and its
changelog for release 10 said, "Koji now supports noarch subpackages."
So it seems this has worked nearly as long as we've had noarch at all.

Thanks, it's useful to have history/precedent for this kind of design.