Re: Highlights from the latest Copr release

Hello Kevin,
thank you for your feedback.

> This is still inherently flawed and unsafe because you have absolutely no
> way of guaranteeing that the notification mail actually reached the
> maintainer, only that it has been sent. E-mail is not a certified delivery
> mechanism.

True, that's why we wanted to have a 180 days preservation period.
The email accounts are not Copr-specific either, they are linked with
FAS. If somebody's mailbox can't be reached by any Fedora service
for half a year, there is something wrong. And I don't think we can do
anything about it.

Though, we are considering implementing some notification icon directly
on the Copr website. Is this something you would like to see?

> The whole concept of opt-out deletion is inherently flawed. It is
> unacceptable to delete user data without explicit confirmation.

I agree, that in the ideal world, it should be that way. But in the meantime,
Copr is not a paid service and has limited resources - mainly disk space.
Not removing any user data, would mean, that by now it wouldn't be possible
to build any package anymore. We would run out of space months ago.
We got promised new storage, but in the meantime, we need to remove
_outdated_ user data, just to keep the service working. Moreover, once
a new fedora is branched from rawhide, we create the chroots with
packages, that was build in rawhide chroots. This eats a lot (I can check
for the numbers) of space immediately after branching.

You can read more about the disk space issues in the original blog post
http://frostyx.cz/posts/copr-removing-outdated-chroots

We needed to figure out, what data we can remove without affecting the
most users. For years, we are removing old build results for packages
whose newer (or same) version was successfully built in the project.
Complying with "It is unacceptable to delete user data without explicit
confirmation", we wouldn't be allowed to do even this. But thanks to
this feature, we were able to not run out of storage for many months,
maybe even years. But lately, this mechanism wasn't sufficient, so we
needed to save disk space somewhere else. Our original idea was to
announce beforehand but then remove all the outdated chroots. Then
we downgraded the idea a little bit and we came with the concept of
notification emails and once an owner doesn't care about the outdated
chroots for his project, removing them.

If you have any other suggestions how to save storage space, let us
know, please. We will look at it.

> And of course, the fix comes too late for the repositories that you folks
> already irremediably destroyed with your deletion rampage. E.g., the latest
> release of Kannolo, Kannolo 27, is now missing one of its default
> repositories and I have no way to fix that (and neither do you, for that
> matter – the only way the problem could be solved would be to allow building
> for Fedora 27 again, then I could simply build the packages again).

What happened, was very unfortunate, by any means intentional, and
we are very sorry about it. A bug slipped into production and broke the
notification command, so any email couldn't be sent. After you reported
the issue, we fixed the bug, added several unit tests to cover any possible
regressions in the future, and updated the code so a chroot that we haven't
sent a notification about, can't be removed. I am aware that it won't un-remove
the data, that were already lost, so it is not that comforting for you, but
unfortunately, we have no way to restore the data.

Temporarily enabling outdated chroots for people who care, to rebuild
their data, wouldn't be that easy too. There is no guarantee that
end of life mock chroots still work.

Jakub