Re: CMake could not find Boost components

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 at 09:20, Dan Čermák <dan.cermak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Iñaki,
>
> not exactly what you are looking for, but I have recently packaged
> rstudio at $dayjob for openSUSE and recall that we had to do some
> fiddling around with boost. You can find the package here:
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/devel:languages:R:released/rstudio

Superb work!

> More specifically, take a look at the first patch:
> 0001-First-pass-at-Boost-1.70-support.patch and check out the cmake
> invocation in the spec:
> %cmake -DRSTUDIO_TARGET=Desktop -DRSTUDIO_SERVER=TRUE -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DRSTUDIO_BOOST_SIGNALS_VERSION=2 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=%{_libexecdir}/%{name}

The patch just adapts code from version 1.6x to version 1.70, but we
still have Boost 1.69 in Fedora 31.

My problem is that cmake doesn't find Boost components (funny enough,
it does find Boost) with boost-devel installed (and, therefore, all
the compononents are pulled too). I changed the plain cmake invocation
with the %cmake macro, but still the same result. So, basically, this
succeeds:

find_package(Boost ${RSTUDIO_BOOST_REQUESTED_VERSION} REQUIRED)

But this fails:

find_package(Boost ${RSTUDIO_BOOST_REQUESTED_VERSION} REQUIRED
COMPONENTS ${BOOST_LIBS})

where

list(APPEND BOOST_LIBS
  atomic
  chrono
  date_time
  filesystem
  iostreams
  program_options
  random
  regex
  system
  thread
)

Is it because Boost packaging in Fedora is somehow different to other
distros? Am I missing something? There must be other cmake-based
packages in Fedora using Boost...

> Hope this helps,
>
> Dan
>
> P.S.: if you manage to unbundle gin and gwt, please ping me, I'd love to
> carry that over to openSUSE.

My purpose was to take back Steve Grubb's initiative [1] step by step.
So my first goal is to maintain a stable and up-to-date version of
RStudio in a Copr repo, even with bundled stuff, because all the
previous attempts are long dead. Then, we'll see.

[1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/AJ44JDERYQMY6MIMFCKQEZL75JEHISQL/

Iñaki

> Iñaki Ucar <iucar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > CMake finds Boost, but then fails to find its components. Here's the
> > log with -DBoost_DEBUG=1:
> > https://download.copr.fedorainfracloud.org/results/iucar/rstudio/fedora-31-x86_64/01235199-rstudio/builder-live.log
> >
> > Is there anything special I should do for cmake to find them? Any help
> > would be appreciated.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Iñaki

Iñaki Úcar