Re: Package uses Gradle (retired) to build: what to do?

On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 7:04 PM Gerald Henriksen <ghenriks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 18:50:25 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >> and why gradle was retired ? is easy unretire it ?
> >
> >I am running gradle command right now as a coincidence .
> >
> >The upstream project is active.
> >https://github.com/gradle/gradle
> >
> >We also might refer other distribution's spec files if we unretire.
> >https://software.opensuse.org/package/gradle
> >https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/gradle
>
> They are unlikely to be of much help given how out of date they are.
> Gradle is currently at 6.1.1 and Debian seems to be packaging 4.4.1
> and OpenSuse is at 3.2.1.  Ubuntu seems to be 4.7

openSUSE is currently on 4.4.1 as well[1].

[1]: https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/openSUSE:Factory/gradle/gradle.spec?expand=1

Rebasing to Gradle 5 or higher means Java 7 support is dropped. That
probably held back a lot of people from doing Gradle upgrades for a
while. Gradle 5 and 6 also does some significant changes to the Gradle
Groovy-based DSL, which means that a lot of projects are likely
struggling to upgrade.

But the Gradle 5.0 release introduced the Kotlin-based DSL, and we
don't even have Kotlin in Fedora...

> The other message that posted the link to the email regarding the
> removeal of Gradle indicated a lot more dependencies were added since
> those versions were packaged.
>
> It is telling when essentially none of the open source operating
> systems have a current gradle version (FreeBSD does, but they just
> grab and wrap the binary from the Gradle website) that gets built from
> source.

What does it tell? To me, it says that FOSS platforms don't care about
Java as much as they used to. We're clearly able to do stuff with Go
and Rust, which are just as "anti-distribution" as Java is (based on
what other people say).