Re: [Retired] gstreamer & gstreamer-plugins-base

On 31. 01. 20 15:01, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
On Friday, 31 January 2020 at 14:52, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 2:47 pm, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
<dominik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm very well aware of the above, but I'm forced to use some proprietary
software that is linked against gstreamer 0.10, so I need to maintain
these until the software in question gets ported to gstreamer1.

gstreamer0.10 has not received security updates -- or security advisories --
since... 2012? I think you should maintain these packages in a copr or other
repo outside Fedora.

I don't see any bugs open against these components. I can't move them to
COPR as then RPM Fusion cannot consume them.

If the sole purpose of keeping the package in Fedora is to support a nonfree RPMFusion package, maybe it would be safer to bundle the lib in that package, outside of the default $LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

We don't like bundling, but frankly, if gstreamer1 would be statically linked in that proprietary software, there would be no other choice anyway, right?

(I'm not saying you have to do this, I merely present an option that might work for you while it would also satisfy the others.)

--
Miro Hrončok