Re: [Retired] gstreamer & gstreamer-plugins-base

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 3:01 pm, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I don't see any bugs open against these components. I can't move them to COPR as then RPM Fusion cannot consume them. I want to maintain them, so
why are you trying to prevent me from doing that?

Nobody is going to file bugs against gstreamer0.10 because it has been EOL for seven years or thereabouts. Nobody is putting in the time or effort to do that work anymore; that's what EOL means. As far as I'm aware, Fedora is the only major distro that still ships it, yes? It's certainly gone from Debian.

It's well-known that GStreamer is security-critical; it's a parser for a huge number of multimedia formats, written in C, containing lots of plugins of varying quality, none of which are sandboxed. It is irresponsible to continue shipping it.

I understand you still need it for this proprietary software, but Fedora is not an appropriate place to host the RPMs.

 Are you FESCo representative now?

No.

I don't see your name on the member
list. I haven't seen any announcements from FESCo saying what you've
just wrote above, so I'm not sure where that's coming from.

Discussions:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/IN5GRXPY6AP5C4WNOV7GNDQ3Z5NRMTSJ/

https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/1935
https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2333

gstreamer0.10 falls into a bit of a gap here, because the CVEs go against the modern package.

Michael