Re: Java Dev Group and Fedora Quality

----- Original Message -----

Right Andrew: Stephen was drawing the distinction I was trying to make.
I lump the Java SE platform into "roughly" what I was calling the JVM
team. You're roughly the group that does what'd be the "core" work in
other languages: maintains the compilers and the stdlib. My terminology
there was incorrect; I suppose "JRE" is more correct.

Is it correct to say that your team and immediate coworkers don't
maintain say, the Apache libraries, the various build systems, IDEs,
and the JBoss libraries?

My point is that some language SIGs/teams take a more active role in
making sure a decent amount of non-stdlib software runs and is
maintained by them. The "core" Java (JVM + JRE) team doesn't seem to
engage in other places. Which is totally fine, from my PoV, as long
as there is communication between the two parts and between the group
and the wider Fedora community, and the overall experience is inclusive.

Instead, most of the library support falls to Joe's team, including
Mikolaj. That's where most of the shortcomings in Java packaging are
seen, including unfriendly, non-inclusive modularization policies.
They're the ones that have orphaned large segments of packages, which
ultimately lead to starting this mail thread. :-)

Perhaps putting words in Bill's mouth here, but I don't subscribe any
of his issues to the JRE team. They're mostly caused by issues in a
lot of packages disappearing, and Matt Booth trying his best to clean
up after that (with the help of Stewardship SIG). But we're all busy
folks and sometimes we can handle that new package load and sometimes
we can't.

And yes, you do a lot of great work in other places too. I thank you
for that the few times I need to touch Java on non-Linux platforms. :-)

Keep up the good work,

- Alex