Re: Java Dev Group and Fedora Quality

On Sun, 2020-01-26 at 22:33 +0000, Bill Chatfield via devel wrote:
> > That's not really fair. DNF is pretty much only the user interface,
> > and everything it's built on top of (hawkey, librepo, libsolv) is
> > implemented in C / C++. And when I think back to using yum, dnf is
> > really fast :)
>
> When I type "sudo dnf install something" it takes about 10 minutes to
> pull updates from every repository, every time I run dnf. The actual
> install or update proceeds at a reasonable pace. I wouldn't call it
> fast. I could send you a video of this if you'd like. I see this on
> all my machines and I see other people complaining about it too.

It's refreshing the repository metadata, which is mostly a network-
bound operation and has little to do with the efficiency of the code.

I don't know in detail how apt works, but IIRC (sorry if I'm wrong), in
a previous discussion of this it's been suggested that the difference
is apt doesn't refresh this data unless you explicitly ask it to, while
dnf does automatically refresh it on most operations, depending on a
refresh time specified in the repository configuration (this is several
days for mostly-not-changing repos, but more like a few minutes or
hours for update repos which change frequently).

I believe there's been some discussion of ways the size of the metadata
could be reduced, but that is a question of the overall design of the
system, it's not to do with the quality of the code that implements the
design.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey