Re: Java Dev Group and Fedora Quality

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 22:33:55 -0000, you wrote:

>> That's not really fair. DNF is pretty much only the user interface,
>> and everything it's built on top of (hawkey, librepo, libsolv) is
>> implemented in C / C++. And when I think back to using yum, dnf is
>> really fast :)

>> I don't know which performance problems you have with python - which
>> components (written in python) do you think cause bottlenecks here?
>
>dnf

Except as per above, the peformance parts of dnf aren't written in
Python anyway.

>firewalld is using 37MB right now on my desktop. If it was written in Java it would be using more. But if it was written in C/C++ it would be less than half that size. It's not terrible I guess, compared to other things. I just really prefer more efficiency at this level because when you start allowing this for more and more programs that extra memory usage adds up.

I believe you said your machine had 8GB, so that means firewalld is
using an extravagant 0.4% of your memory.

Now yes, in theory (I say theory because you need to find a volunteer
to do it) someone could rewrite in a different language and save you
0.2% of your memory.

But is that really a good use of scarce resources?

>I respect your opinion here. But, I feel that as the hardware guys provide more RAM, we shouldn't be wasting it. Because we waste a little RAM here and then there and eventually every program is wasteful and all that waste adds up. You end up with a poorly performing system even though it has plenty of RAM. We need to bring back a culture of efficiency rather than wastefulness.

It's a trade off - one of the reasons presumably you are programming
in Java is because it makes you more productive than writing in C.

We exchange hardware use for productivity because developer time is
far more expensive and scarce a resource than hardware is.

>OK, I don't know about this but I believe you. I'm just looking at it from a user's perspective that there are a lot of problems and makes me thing that not enough testing is being done.

Have you looked at the complaints that the users of Windows and Apple
products have these days?  It makes Fedora look really, really good. I
mean, Microsoft's answer to their quality control problems on Windows
appears to be shipping updates that don't do anything new...