Re: Java Dev Group and Fedora Quality

On Sat, 2020-01-25 at 22:06 +0000, Bill Chatfield via devel wrote:
> You need automated tests. You need a suit of manual tests. For every package.

So to chime in on the QA aspects of this: the above is not
realistically possible, and it's also an explicit non-goal of all QA
and CI efforts.

We have something like 10,000 source packages in Fedora. On a very
optimistic count we might have 100 people who might plausibly be
capable of doing something to do with the above (this is an over-
estimate, but I'm just doing this as an illustration). There's no way
each of those 100 people is going to contribute and maintain a
sufficient test suite for 100 source packages.

In practice the way we approach QA for Fedora is to try and define a
subset of all possible QA activities which is actually manageable. So
far as releases go, we define release criteria:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Release_Criteria

these are informed by other things, like the Edition PRDs and tech
specs, e.g. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Workstation_PRD
and https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Server/Product_Requirements_Documen
t .

We then *do* define test plans that cover the release criteria; we're
at something like 95% coverage right now. Counting automation is a bit
complex as there are fuzzy areas like what level of coverage across
arches, editions and images we need for what test cases, but by my last
count approximately 78% of those test cases are automated.

If you read through the release criteria, you'll note that 'Eclipse
must work' is not one of them. That's a choice the project has made,
and that's why Eclipse not working didn't block the Fedora 31 release.
(We require all applications *included in a default install of one of
the release-blocking desktops* to work; Eclipse is not included in a
default install of any release-blocking desktop). Of course these
decisions can always be changed, but given the info Emmanuel and Fabio
provided about the state of Java package maintenance, it doesn't seem
likely that we'd be able to start blocking on Java packages at present.

Beyond the release criteria and release validation process, we have a
process and framework for testing updates to released packages. This is
mostly an as-best-as-we-can arrangement for now. There is a mechanism
by which manual test cases can be 'associated' with a given source
package (via wiki categories), and when a package has test cases
associated with it, they will be shown in the Bodhi - that's the update
system, https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/ - page for the update, so
testers will be aware that those tests are available (and can provide
specific feedback on them). We also have a couple of automated test
systems that run on updates and/or package builds: the CI pipeline and
openQA. The CI pipeline can run some basic checks and also per-package
automated tests which are defined in a git repository for the package,
if any have been written (more on this at
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/ci/ ). openQA runs a subset of the
automated release validation tests (which are distribution-level
integration tests) on certain updates (all critical path updates, and
updates containing some other whitelisted packages) - more on this at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OpenQA . The results from both systems
are shown on the 'Automated Tests' tab in Bodhi, and there is an
optional mechanism by which updates can be gated on the automated test
results if the packager decides this makes sense.

As I first explained, though, it's not realistically possible for us to
provide comprehensive manual and/or automated tests for every package.
That's just too much work. The mechanisms we have in place are, I
think, pretty good and getting better; we are trying to extend test
coverage as far as we can as well, but it is never going to be close to
100% of all packages in Fedora, and as a project we have to focus our
efforts on the most critical packages and areas.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Eclipse, it's definitely not
what we want people to run into.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey