Re: gcc 10: Default to -fno-common, multiple definitions of ...

On Tue, 2020-01-21 at 13:47 +0100, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 01:42:25PM +0100, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> > I've seen this issue pop up in some other packages, as well.
> >
> > My elementary-files package is affected, and I think it broke
> > rubygem-ffi, too (which is blocking the ruby 2.7 rebuild, breaking a
> > lot of ruby packages; though I can't access the build log for the
> > failed rubygem-ffi build, due to a koji bug relating to side tags).
>
> Yes, it should affect around 400 packages in the distro from what I remember
> from Jeff's test mass rebuild, other distros are aware of it too and the
> fixes just need to be pushed upstream or grabber from upstream if they are
> there already.
> Adding -fcommon is a temporary workaround but fixing the packages is
> preferred, especially if those fixes end up upstream.
Right.  It was ~450.   The SuSE team in particular has had reasonable
success getting fixes upstreamed -- I think Martin L indicated they'd
gotten a few dozen fixed upstream.

ISTM that fixing upstream is by far the best choice followed by fixing
with a Fedora patch.  Working around via an opt-out or modifying the
flags in a .spec file is the least desirable.

Jeff