Re: Effort to remove libdb

Once upon a time, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> Is there any software or service that currently uses Berkeley DB that
> cannot reasonably be discarded and rebuilt from scratch for new
> versions of that software, without Berkeley DB entirely, as part of a
> Fedora release?

One problem is the upgrade path - there's no way to know all the things
that are currently stored in BDB files, and once upgraded, there's not
going to be a way to get the data out.  Some BDBs are built from other
data files (and can be rebuilt, although there's no way to know all the
things and trigger such rebuilds automatically), but some are directly
edited.  Part of the attraction of BDB files was that they could be
easily updated from programs/scripts for use by other programs/scripts.

postfix and sendmail both use BDB files for maps.  IIRC sendmail just
supports a single map database library at a time, configured at build
time (can be GDBM or BDB).  postfix supports some alternates, but BDB is
considered the standard (and changing to anything else requires
modifying configuration before rebuilding maps).  I think exim is
similar (I'm just not as familiar with it).

Not all things that use BDB even support alternates (or dump and restore
of data files), for example arpd from iproute.  Also, since the
scripting languages (python/php/perl) have supported it as a
service-free simple DB, there's going to be an unknown number of scripts
that use it that aren't packaged as part of the distribution.

BDB is kind of a part of the collective history of Unix systems and
assumed to always be available.  Is there nobody interested in
maintaining the final license-compatible version in a pure bugfix mode?
Does it get that many bugs?

--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>