Re: Let's talk about Fedora in the '20s!

On 1/15/20 8:33 PM, Przemek Klosowski via devel wrote:
On 1/7/20 11:14 AM, Iñaki Ucar wrote:
I'm far from having a satisfactory response to that, but I see two
fronts here. First, marketing. How does Ubuntu managed to be so
popular among less-experienced Linux users? I'm not sure, but I
suspect that good marketing has something to do with it.
One of their primary aims has been user friendliness. Their forums are helpful and it is easier to find information on Ubuntu with a quick internet search. A number of other linux distributions now aim to be friendly to those who just want things to work.

I can think of several reasons that are important to me; some of them were addressed by Fedora and are no longer relevant, but they gave Ubuntu enough momentum to last

- Ubuntu provides LTS releases, so people can chose to install and forget. Yes, it is a tradeoff with new/shiny, but it's nice to have this option for something that is intended to last.
Fedora is positioned somewhere in between Debian and Ubuntu. Debian does not have as many users as Ubuntu. Cent OS is available for 10 years, but is mostly considered a server distro, though is also very capable desktop as many of the things in Fedora can be used in Cent OS or easily ported to it.

- as the result of the momentum, Ubuntu became the default in various special circumstances: Jupyter notebooks, WSL, etc.; furthermore, this popularity attracted packagers  so that some Ubuntu packages lead Fedora (see also next point).
Having software packages is helpful. However, things like Flatpak, Snap and Appimages may make this less of a concern. Some distributions allow using package repositories from other distributions, for example Puppy dog linux can use Ubuntu repositories, so with a small number of core developers can offer many applications.

- Ubuntu was pragmatic and compromising on non-free software such as codecs and video drivers; as a result, it has sometimes better support for things like CUDA software, video/multimedia, etc., even though nowadays Fedora has practically out-of-box support for these.
It is helpful to know when non-free software is used.  Perhaps better communication with hardware vendors is required. Alternatively, a number of distributions do have online stores where you can get a pre-installed system that should be hassle free. Part of the attraction of linux is the freedom to configure things yourself which  requires an investment of time.

Regarding the first point, the Fedora/Redhat/CentOS environment requires an early decision and commitment to one of the three alternatives. If it is production, one would deploy paid-support RedHat; less critical but still long-term roles call for CentOS, and of course Fedora is best for personal systems, especially for development and testing new software stacks.
This mostly needs a good partitioning of the file system and/or multiple hard drives, separate, data from the operating system and the applications. It is then possible to easily change the operating system. It is also possible to have workstations with multiple operating system boot options.

It turns out, however, that the initial intent often changes: an important production system becomes a less-critical legacy, or a cutting-edge development system proves itself and becomes production. In these cases it would be nice to transition smoothly between the choices: a RHEL system that comes off its entitlement should not just sit there unpatched but should smoothly transition to CentOS, and maybe there could be a way to transition a no-longer supported Fedora to a roughly-equivalent RedHat/CentOS. I realize that this is a big ask, but I wished for it often enough that I thought I'd put it out here for consideration, especially in the context of competing with Ubuntu.
This can work by separating data from operating system. Main problem might be that some software package may need to be built again since it may not be available in the repository - this would likely need some developer/packager time. Transitioning may be challenging to fully automate due to application software availability and compatibility, though many linux installers now give a choice of where to put the operating system and what disks/partitions to leave untouched.