Re: Let's talk about Fedora in the '20s!

On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 at 16:38, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 07, 2020 at 03:22:45PM +0100, Iñaki Ucar wrote:
> > For me, the main challenge Fedora faces is **positioning**.
> >
> > Let me explain: (I don't have numbers but) in my (limited) experience,
> > when seasoned sysadmins need to launch a new system, they usually
> > think "Debian" as something reliable; when seasoned as well as
> > not-very-seasoned-in-Linux research engineers (I know better this
> > category, since I'm a researcher) need to setup a system for some demo
> > or experiment, they mostly think "Ubuntu" (yes, I know...); when we
> > see a new exciting service (such as Travis CI and the like) coming
> > out, they usually support Ubuntu; and so on and so forth, and I'm not
> > even talking about the desktop use case.
> >
> > So I think there's the challenge for Fedora, for all those people to
> > consider Fedora as a first option for their use cases.
>
> I agree that's a challenge. Any ideas for how to address it and change these
> perceptions?

I'm far from having a satisfactory response to that, but I see two
fronts here. First, marketing. How does Ubuntu managed to be so
popular among less-experienced Linux users? I'm not sure, but I
suspect that good marketing has something to do with it. Second,
exposure. If someone wants to configure a Travis CI instance, or a
Google Cloud instance for some data science pipeline, etc., etc., and
Fedora is there among the options available, then Fedora will
automatically come to mind as an option for the next project. Of
course that's not under our direct control, but if we know the
requirements for such third-party services, we can build specially
tailored spins and try to promote them in those
communities/projects/enterprises at all levels. So 1) stay on the
cutting edge, 2) make it as easy as possible to choose Fedora over
other options, and 3) marketing and promotion may be a good recipe.

--
Iñaki Úcar