Re: What would it take to drop release and changelog from our spec files? (and do we want to?)

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 12:20:15PM +0100, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> Dne 10. 01. 20 v 18:21 Iñaki Ucar napsal(a):
> > Most of the time, I end up copying the spec changelog in the commit
> > message and I don't change the update template,
>
> +1
> Thou, occasionaly I *delete* some of those commits as they are unnessary in changelog. E.g.:
>
> * typo fix
> * revert of ....
> * previous fix was not complete...

It seems I'm using git quite differently.

My spec file changelog describes what the spec changes did in regard to
functionality or version changes of the tool.

My git commit messages usually try to summarize, what happened to the
(dist-)git-repo - mostly stuff that can be seen in `git show --stat`,
although sometimes I describe what I changed inside a file.

The field for bodhi I usually copy from the changelog - but to be honest
I only fill it, because it's there - I don't even really know what it is
used for, except being shown on the update page.

On the other side when I'm looking for something, because something
broke or whatever, usually I go to the spec-file on
src.fedoraproject.org[1] first, and if I can't find the reason I'm looking
for in the first few seconds I take a look at the changelog, which for
convenience is right there.

Didn't even know about `rpm -q xx --changelog` - quite nice, but as I
prefer to look at the spec file instructions first anyway I'll probably
still check there. (Usually I look for a specific Patch file or
configure-flag, so the directly checking the spec is faster)

For me this is a plus and one of the reasons I do enjoy packaging for
Fedora more than I enjoy packaging for Debian - one single spec file vs.
many files, and each single one of those has a different format.

But I also do understand that separating the changelog from the spec
file might have its benefits and that duplication of the messages for
people using the git log message as changelog messages is annoying.

All the best,
Astra