Re: What would it take to drop release and changelog from our spec files? (and do we want to?)

Le 2020-01-13 11:01, Panu Matilainen a écrit :

You keep saying that, but maybe you were not involved with
redhat-rpm-config back when it was that way. It was the most hideous
piece of package I had ever worked with, because the model of external
tarballs is just absurd and does not work at all with what it is and
does. We've been there, done that and the current model is the first
time that redhat-rpm-config is actually nice to maintain.

I’ve also been there and done that and contributed to redhat-rpm-config and other macro packages that do not use the redhat-rpm-config model, and redhat-rpm-config is the most annoying to work with, with no directory structure to speak of, file-by-file special casing in the spec file, need to mangle file names because the way redhat-rpm-config is set up breaks pagure assumptions, and probably others I forget. This one-of-a-kind-ism is horrible except for people that only contribute to redhat-rpm-config and are so used to its quirks they don’t feel them anymore.

It is trivial nowadays to point a spec to pagure (or gitlab, or github) with the forge macros, and get an archive spectool understands that matches the version declared in the src.fedora.org spec, with a correct directory structure that can be used to simplify the spec logic

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot