Re: Fedora 32 Self-Contained Change proposal: Additional buildroot to test x86-64 micro-architecture update

* Kevin Fenzi:

> Can packages built in this buildroot be used on the same system with
> packages from the normal buildroot?

Yes, I expect them to be compatible at the interface level because the
flags do not directly alter calling conventions.  There could be a
slowdown mixing package versions, though.

It's also conceivable t hat some packages change struct layout under
#ifdef __AVX2__, and those changes could be externally visible.  I do
not think this is likely, though, because these packages would fail to
run with user-compiled -march=native code today.

> I assume one of the reasons to do this is that we don't know which
> packages benifit from the changes and by how much?

I assumed that machine time and storage is much cheaper than curating
the set of packages manually (which potentially requires writing and
designing a UI, too).

> Do these builds need to be signed?

Why not?  If the hash chain through the mirror manager still works or
users can go directly to the buildroot repository on https:// URLs, I
don't see a strict requirement for that, though.

> Would there be some kind of initial 'mass build' to populate existing
> packages / things that don't rebuild very often?

Yes, for the VZEROUPPER change, we would have to do an initial rebuild.

> Would there need to be some kind of bootstrap? Or would this inherit
> from the existing normal buildroot?

I would just do two rebuild cycles, with GCC and glibc coming first.
(That's what I did for the downstream rebuild.)  I don't think a real
boostrap is needed.

> My main concern here is the storage front. Would we need to keep old
> builds? Or could we just keep the last successfull build only?

I'm not sure.  I guess I could keep a copy locally if packages expire
really quickly.

> I guess ideally there will be 0 changes to spec files (just different
> macros, etc)? And if there are changes, they would be something we would
> want to upstream, so perhaps a bugzilla tracker for any spec changes to
> make sure as much as possible they go upstream and go away?

What do you mean by upstream in this context?  Upstream outside Fedora
rarely has Fedora-compatible spec files, I think.

Thanks,
Florian