Re: Let's talk about Fedora in the '20s!

> On Tue, Jan 7, 2020, at 6:41 AM, Tom Hughes wrote:
>
> Implicit in this is the idea that value should be captured at a secondary distribution
> layer.  Implicit in this is the idea that distribution forks *need* to happen.  But they
> don't.
>
> In fact, everyone here can work upstream too!  If e.g. someone upstream messes up
> licensing, the mindset shouldn't be "oh man those upstream developers are
> incompetent, let's patch it downstream".

The current problem with that is that Tom and other packagers would need to join a couple of hundred up-streams and do all the emotional, social work to be considered someone they will listen to and trust to make the changes you might need to get it into a distribution. [And yes it takes time and energy to do that.. just going by how much it takes for our own development groups to take things in from random 'strangers'.]  That takes up a lot of time which then cuts down the time the person has to work on Fedora.

The issue is always going to be about scalability and the fact that each upstream is usually a community as much as Fedora is with its own joining/acceptance/social time needed to become active in. We have currently about 400 active packagers (depending on the definition of active) and about 22000 src.rpms usually a separate community. We either need to grow our active packagers to a much larger amount or shrink our distribution greatly OR some combination of the two. There would also need to be some duplication of people per community so we don't end up with a lot of SPOF's. [Well we have to drop being able to boot anymore.. pjones left and no one can deal with the shim community except him... but take it to every src.rpm package.]

Now we could also say we outline which packages we really really care about and make sure we have upstream community liasons with.. but that will also need to scale out because every dependency of those packages would also need to be dealt with also which then grows out everytime Mozilla, Libreoffice, hot-web-app-of-the week grows a new requirement.

I know I am sounding like a long list of why this can't be done.. but deep down I agree with the sentiment. I just don't see that we can actually accomplish it without giant changes.