Re: Why does gdb dlopen() librpm instead of linking to it?

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 6:22 PM John Reiser <jreiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 1/3/20 22:35 UTC, Neal Gompa wrote:

>    [[snip]]
>
> >> gdb.spec could auto-detect the current librpm version.
>
> > I think it'd be nice if it auto-detected this stuff. It's weird having
> > to go and fix that manually.
>
> Please do not predict the environment at run time by detecting the environment
> at compile time.  That is generally safe only for the simplest properties
> such as base-level hardware architecture.  Detecting the version of some other
> package is particularly problematic if the ultimate result is to be distributed
> beyond the datacenter where it was built.  Even when the result works,
> it facilitates "version creep" of dependencies: requiring version N+1
> (because because a Fedora builder tends to have newest versions) when
> version N would suffice.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that GDB was somehow special, but
it's not. GDB is *inside* the buildroot, and the version of the
package being used is *always* inside the chroot. So the compile-time
detection *would* always equal what it is used with at runtime.