Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal (late): Enable EarlyOOM

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 11:20 AM John M. Harris Jr <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Saturday, January 4, 2020 11:16:24 AM MST Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 5:52 pm, John M. Harris Jr
> > <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > In that case, I'd suggest waiting the 15 minutes, and then not
> > > bogging down
> > > your system that badly the next time. This is, really, the best
> > > option.
> >

> > I'm going to suggest you stop replying in this thread if you're not
> > interested in responding with productive comments.
> >
> > The user experience requirement here is "desktop should not hang for 15
> > minutes when under memory pressure." Your comment indicates that it
> > *should* hang, presumably to punish users for using too much memory.
> > This is so absurd that I don't think you're engaging in good-faith
> > discussion anymore.
>
> Whether or not it should or should not is irrelevant. I don't see much of an
> alternative than what seems to be a "hang", honestly. It has nothing to do
> with something to "punish" users, it's to get the system to a state where you
> can `sync` and reboot.

The point of this feature proposal is precisely to get the system into
a state where they can save their work and do a proper reboot. It's
safer, less esoteric, and more reliable than sysrq+b.

It cannot become a user's burden to know the kernel is still doing
something, when there's zero feedback and zero control. When will the
system recover on its own? An hour? A day? A week? I can tell you for
sure in my test case, it was consistently stuck for > 30 minutes. I
let it go that long, many times, only to demonstrate it's not a
temporary hang, and users are acting rationally to force power off.

--
Chris Murphy