Re: peek package

On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 12:14:37 +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

> > > No, please, don't do this. It will be a huge headache for RPM Fusion
> > > maintainers.
> >
> > What sort of "huge headache" would that be? Third party repos like RPM Fusion
> > can still use package Epoch to replace base distribution packages.
>
> We have a strict policy of not doing that.

Which implies that the "huge headache" is self-induced.

This has been discussed years ago already for various 3rd party repos, who
did override base dist packages. The policy could be less strict with
regard to add-on packages, which would duplicate a Fedora dist package and
fork it with more features built in.

No need to do that for core system libs like glibc, but sometimes it
would reduce the maintenance requirements. For some apps and libs the
feature set cannot be completed via add-ons/plugins. And RPM Fusion replaces
some base dist packages via conflicts anyway in some cases. Example:
audacity-freeworld vs. audacity

> We do try to maintain add-on
> and alternative packages like chromium-libs-media-freeworld (alternative
> for chromium-libs-media built with all codecs) which is a headache to
> maintain in sync with Fedora's chromium.

Anything with inter-dependencies requires some maintenance. Forked
"alternative packages", which implicitly or explicitly conflict with base
dist packages, don't reduce the maintenance requirements.