Re: peek package

On Wed, Jan 01, 2020 at 08:33:26PM -0000, Artem Tim wrote:
> > The `peek` package has been approved in Fedora repositories [1], but it
> > doesn't even start without ffmpeg installed [2], which is not
> > distributed in Fedora repositories (but is available in rpmfusion):
>
> Why we should drop such useful app just because it doesn't work on Cinnamon? It works on GNOME without ffpmeg and rpm fusion repo, see screenshot [1].
>
> > The peek specfile contains a `Recommends: ffmpeg >= 3`, which is rather
> > confusing... I think this package should never have passed the review
> > process! It should really stay in rpmfusion repository.
>
> OK, this should been fixed. There was a proposal for this but it not passed
> https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/issue/914

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#_package_dependencies

"All package dependencies (build-time or runtime, regular, weak or otherwise)
MUST ALWAYS be satisfiable within the official Fedora repositories."

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/WeakDependencies/

"As with regular dependencies, weak dependencies MUST be satisfiable
within the official Fedora repositories."

Also, the gstreamer1-plugins-ugly Recommends needs removed along with
ffmpeg.

> > Is this something allowed? Should I file a ticket against the package or
> > against fedora-infra to suggest its retirement?
>
> App works on GNOME. I can add hard dependency: gnome-shell in this case if you think this is better rather then installing ffmpeg.

IMHO, the best thing would be for upstream to add some kind of error or
information dialog saying why it wouldn't work in the places it wouldn't
work and suggesting users install whatever to make it work?

Failing that perhaps adjust the desktop file to add a
'OnlyShowIn=Gnome'? But does it work only in Wayland sessions?

kevin