Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Drop Optical Media Release Criterion

On Tue, 2019-12-17 at 16:25 +0000, Justin W. Flory wrote:

> > Note, the testing isn't *hard* to do, really, it's just tedious and
> > time consuming. Not just the act of running the test (though that does
> > take quite a while, between the burning process and the boot, media
> > check and install itself), but the fact that it means we need to ensure
> > we have at least a couple of people who still have access to a DVD
> > burner and blank media.
>
> I'm warming up to an idea that focuses on empowering the community to
> lead this work in a sustainable way without mandating the QA team to
> test these every release. If I could suggest first steps to one way
> to "hand-off" to the community, it might be like this:
>
> 1. Publish "Fedora QA test cases" somewhere in the Fedora Docs site
> for QA: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/qa-docs/
> 2. Write test cases based on the manual work done currently and how
> to validate success; publish in docs site
> 3. Write Community Blog post to point out to community that these
> docs exist
>
> If you (or anyone) doesn't like my idea, I encourage you to propose
> what you think would work. :) I believe there is a winning solution
> where the QA team is relieved of tedious work among increasing
> demands, and the distributed Fedora user community does not enter a
> frenzy when they find out optical drives are "unsupported".

Um. I realize these are the avenues you're familiar with, but we
already have a perfectly good, community-facing validation process. We
already have test cases. They're written and they work. They're in the
wiki not on the docs site; this is not a problem, they are both web
pages that community members can visit. (The wiki also has extensive
dynamic templating capabilities which the test cases use frequently;
the docs site...doesn't).

Basically: what's wrong with
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Current_Installation_Test
and
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Boot_default_install
(the test case it links to, for this area) that you think we can fix by
moving the test cases to the docs site and somehow rewriting them (? -
I really don't know what step 2 means).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey