Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Drop Optical Media Release Criterion

On Monday, December 16, 2019 5:13:11 AM MST Kamil Paral wrote:
> It's very important to understand that dropping a release criterion for
> optical boot doesn't mean Fedora can't be installed from a DVD in the
> future. The bugs that affect just bare-metal optical booting (and not
> virtual machines or usb booting) are very rare.

Sure, but it still happens, and it's low hanging fruit to make sure it works
so that these users don't wind up unable to install Fedora.

> Adam and Chris have provided some numbers and references. If such a
> problem is detected soon enough, we will definitely do our best to make
> sure it's resolved by the official release time.

Where are these numbers and references?

> In the worst case scenario, where no one spotted it in advance and all
> installation media are affected, there are still avenues for affected users.

Like what? Anything that the end user will actually go through the trouble of?
Put on your user hat for a minute here. You want to install Fedora. You've got
a system that will only boot via CD/DVD, and a DVD that won't boot. What do
you do?

> An older installation medium can be used and the system upgraded. And older
> installation medium can be used and pointed at latest installation
> repositories (this is not guaranteed to work, but works in majority of
cases).

This is just an excuse for exactly what I said would happen: A release with
broken optical install media. This is easily avoidable.

> And we can also spin up unofficial install media post-release, once
> the bug is fixed (we've done this in the past). There are even community
> members who do these "media refreshes" regularly. Overall, yes, it might be
> uncomfortable if you have such hardware, but it's *not* game over.

Considering that the other major options still have working optical install
media, it basically is game over. These users would likely flock to a distro
that isn't supporting their primary install method anymore, such as openSUSE,
Ubuntu or Debian.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.
Splentity