Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Drop Optical Media Release Criterion

On Sunday, December 15, 2019 10:02:19 AM MST alciregi@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello all.
> Sorry but as far as I can understand, and as stated in the proposal as
> well by other people, the possibility to boot from optical media will
> be not dropped.
> Nobody is stating that we will prevent Fedora to boot from a DVD.

This is a concern because it means that it's possible to ship a release with a
broken installer image.

> As far as I can say, if you look here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/31/ReleaseBlocking, a lot of
> people should be concerned and alarmed, why not?
>
> An example is that the day of the go/no-go meeting, Fedora will be
> released even if the FXCE image doesn't work. Isn't it? And if you look
> at that link, even now if the KDE spin doesn't boot from a DVD, Fedora
> will be released as well.
>
> So? What does that mean? We don't care about XFCE users? We don't care
> about all other spins users? I don't thik so.
>
> It is obvious that even if a spin is not release blocking, there will
> be the same hard works in order to fix any issue with these spins
> before the release date.
> In this case I think that there will be hard works to fix issues if
> someone will notice some bug in the optical media boot.
> It is also obvious that there should be someone committed to perform
> these tests and find bugs well in advance.

The GNOME Spin has always gotten preferential treatment, and I don't see that
changing. That is a discussion for another thread, but it's definitely an
issue.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.
Splentity