Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Drop Optical Media Release Criterion

On Friday, December 13, 2019 1:34:29 PM MST Mike Pinkerton wrote:
> On 13 Dec 2019, at 15:03, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
>

> > On Friday, December 13, 2019 12:53:57 PM MST Chris Murphy wrote:
> >

> >> What? There are only two images that are release blocking for optical
> >> media right now.
> >>

> >> Everything/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Everything-netinst-x86_64-
> >> _RELEASE_MILESTONE_.i
> >> so
> >> Workstation/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-
> >> _RELEASE_MILESTONE_.i
> >> so https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/31/ReleaseBlocking
> >>

> >> I'm suggesting one instead of zero. Whatever image you're saying you
> >> must have is already non-blocking so I don't even understand what
> >> you're complaining about now.
> >

> > This isn't something that *I* personally need. The only ISO image I
> > personally
> > need is the KDE Spin ISO, so you'd be correct. For end-users,
> > there's no need
> > for the complexity of the Everything image to be present, however.
> > If the end
> > user wants to install the GNOME Spin, they shouldn't have to jump
> > through
> > hoops and know what they're picking.
>

> I would say that the Everything netinstall image is more useful than
> the Workstation Live image:
>
> *  netinstall is smaller
> *  netinstall can be used to install servers
> *  netinstall with updates repo enabled yields current system without
> doing the almost inevitable post-install (from non-netinstall image)
> update

That'd be great experience for users that already know what they want. and
have a NIC which is supported in mainline. It's also not an option for users
installing in airgapped environments, users who don't have internet access or
have bad internet service, among other common issues. It would NOT be a good
experience for a user to grab a GNOME or KDE Spin DVD, attempt to boot, and
not be able to boot it.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.
Splentity