Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Disallow Empty Password By Default

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 4:56:04 AM MST Marius Schwarz wrote:
> You mean, that when plymouth comes on, there is no real UI system that
> could handle mouse events, which are needed
> to simulate a osk. But that can't honestly be so much hassle, as we
> don't need a full featured mouse handler, a simple one would be enough:
> leftclick, mouse move thats it.

There is no subsystem for anything like that. Most input at Plymouth is
handled by the vtty, not Plymouth itself.

> A font to render all the possible keyboardlayouts will take much more
> space and should be limited to the one the system uses+ a default one
> with "most used language" support.

This would be an issue even with the concept below. File sizes for initramfs
would definitely grow, perhaps too much to handle on lower-end systems. It'd
definitely need to be optional, and only on systems that are getting a
graphical install.

> M$ has added a simple OSK on boot in it's bios, so you  can select
> things in touchmode before the real os is running. Not very shiny, not
> perfect, but there if needed. A little bit better should "our" system
> be, but i don't expect complains, if it isn't a super smooth running
> system with cutting edge graphics ;)

Where have you seen this? I haven't seen this on any of Dell's recent
touchscreen laptops with the latest Windows 10 nor Windows 10 Enterprise. This
may be provided by the device vendor or OEM, rather than Microsoft.

> On the other hand, as android is capable of FDE, they must have made
> some importanted changes that can be of use here.

Does Android use Plymouth? Last I checked, they did not. I'm not saying that
we can't implement this, it's possible, but not with Plymouth.

The way to do it would be to pick the smallest of the graphical toolkits, Qt
vs GTK+. Considering embedded environments are a target for Qt, I'd wager Qt
would be the best option for this, as it doesn't require X11 or Wayland. Then
throw together a little graphical app for that, if such a thing is really
needed.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.
Splentity