Re: modular protobuf issue (Dec. 6, 2019) recap

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 8:19 PM Langdon White <langdon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ## What happened:
> First and foremost, this issue appears to be caused by Modularity but, in fact, is just an example of a policy not being followed. When a module wishes to declare a "default stream"[1] it *must* not override a traditional RPM without express permission from FESCo. The policy is documented here[2].
>
> Unfortunately, the recent change to enable an Eclipse Module Stream as a default stream did not follow this policy and provided a different protobuf RPM with different functionality.
>
> ## What we can do going forward:
> * Increase the awareness of the policies for Fedora Modules
> * Investigate an "early warning system" that would indicate to packagers (modular and RPM) when they might be violating this policy

Hi Langdon,

Thanks for the summary of the issue.

Igor wrote in the other thread that, as the maintainer of protobuf, he
had no idea this was happening. In addition to FESCo approval, is it
worth stating explicitly somewhere in the policy that overriding a
traditional RPM should require the consent of the maintainer(s) of
that RPM?

(I realize that in this particular case, Igor is on FESCo, and so had
the policy been followed more carefully, he would have been aware
anyway).

Ben Rosser