Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Disallow Empty Password By Default

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 8:04 AM Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you use LUKS/dm-crypt without dm-integrity and you have a clue
> where things are located then you can change files without anything
> being able to detect that. (On btrfs you might have some luck, since
> it has data checksumming, but ext4 and other traditional file systems
> do not).

xxhash, sha256, and blake2 coming to Btrfs in kernel 5.5, with online
conversion between them.

> And it's easier to figure out where stuff is located then you might
> think since we live in a world where people use SSDs and mount file
> systems with "discard", so that what are used blocks and what are free
> blocks is propagated to the underlying device. Moreover file systems
> write in certain patterns, i.e. try to keep large files in one stream
> together, put files in the same directories adjacent to each other and
> so on, and are usually roughly reproducible.

Fedora install time default for LUKS encrypted volumes is to unlocked
with cryptsetup open --allow-discards, which is set in /etc/crypttab
by using the discard option. This is since Fedora 27.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/EnableTrimOnDmCrypt

However, the installer doesn't enable the discard mount option for any
file system in /etc/fstab, and fstrim.timer is disabled by default.
Therefore the feature is a no op for most users, who are unlikely to
enable file system discards using either method.

--
Chris Murphy