Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Disallow Empty Password By Default

On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 5:56:39 PM MST Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 5:38 PM John M. Harris Jr <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 5:28:17 PM MST Chris Murphy wrote:
> >
> > > You know what is a work around and not a solution and is default? ~/
> > > isn't encrypted. And the two install time options insist on restricted
> > > character sets for the passphrase, the user must not change their
> > > keyboard layout, or their keyboard to one with a different keymapping
> > > - lest they experience data loss.
> >

> > $HOME is encrypted if you put it on an encrypted filesystem
>

> You have a particular knack for pointing out the obvious as if you
> think everyone is a moron. It's variably amusing and annoying.
>

> >Additionally,
> >
> > that Anaconda restricts what the passphrase for the key sounds like a bug
> > in Anaconda.
>

> The idea is to protect the user from using characters that can't be
> passed via plymouth to cryptsetup during startup. Known problem, I've
> only cited it a couple times in this thread.
>

> >The user can change their keyboard layout. That's fine. It wouldn't
> >
> > cause data loss.
>

> The user experience is identical to data loss. The passphrase is
> considered wrong, there's no feedback whatsoever to the user that the
> keymapping has changed, that this is the actual problem.
>
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1imiPyYBiTcE3zTsspOhKynWo7ysraRWC
>

> > However, it would make it more difficult to unlock the
> > system, if they forget they've changed the keyboard layout and
> > regenerated
> > their initramfs. (If they do it globally, if they just do it once the OS
> > is booted, then they're good to go.)
>

> Like I said, it's a user hostile experience.
>

> > > The traditional way is unquestionably hostile to international users,
> > > and doing better, however untraditional, is absolutely something I
> > > strongly favor.
> >

> > How is it "hostile to international users"? "international users"
> > generally set their keyboard layout to the one they use primarily.. Just
> > like everyone else :)
>

> Ok so you're not aware of the issues, and you persistently refuse to
> go read the issue I've cited multiple times that discuss these
> problems, which you previously categorically rejected as even
> existing. So it's a stupid or weird game and I refuse to participate.

I asked a question because you stated that there is a problem, and what you've
described as a problem actually is not one.

Please allow me to explain. You can change the keyboard layout, but the
original keyboard layout is used unless you rebuild the initramfs afterwards.
Simply updating your kernel achieves the same, if you don't know how to do
that.

The user experience is nothing like data loss. The users are not stupid. It's
fine that the keyboard layout for initramfs is only updated when initramfs is
rebuilt. People don't change their primary keyboard layout very often. I have
to disagree, that this is a "hostile user experience". If you want to fix
this, the fix is simple. Rebuild initramfs when the system-wide keyboard
layout is changed.

Unless something has changed, plymouth does not actually handle input. This
may have changed, but was the case as of F29. I don't use Plymouth, so I won't
pretend to know what it does in current Fedora.

PS:
This is not a Fedora requirement, or anything of the sort, but please don't
link to proprietary file sharing websites.. It's not really in line with
Fedora's Four Foundations, but that's just my opinion.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.
Splentity