Re: RFC: Modularity Simplified

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 9:13 AM Nicolas Mailhot via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le 2019-12-02 08:38, Igor Gnatenko a écrit :
> > On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 8:28 AM Nicolas Mailhot via devel
>
> >> Having all build elements in the package repos themselves is the CORE
> >> feature that makes the “share” community dimension of Fedora work.
> >> Anyone
> >> can take the packages and do whatever he wants with them (audit,
> >> rebuild,
> >> modify), in any rpm build infra (koji, copr, mock, rpmbuild, obs)
> >> without
> >> depending on the Fedora build infra of the year.
> >
> > It would be nice, however please return back to the reality. Many of
> > packages are FTBFS (e.g. some BRs do not exist anymore (due to the
> > dependency update)). So this does not work in practice.
>
> That’s just a combination of bad tooling, and therefore bad enforcement,
> and people promising castles in the cSure, buloud that would not require any
> human effort.
>
> The only reason people work on the project is that by and large, the
> FTBS part is marginal. Make it a normal state, and it will grow, and the
> distribution will die.

Thanks to Miro, this part is now enforced, though some individuals
still do not understand importance of this :/

I am not saying this should not improve. I am just saying that this is
where we are and we have had this problem before. And we never had
this goal (to make distribution self-contained), as a project.