Re: RFC: Modularity Simplified

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 8:58 AM Nicolas Mailhot via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le 2019-12-02 07:47, Igor Gnatenko a écrit :
> > Hi Neal,
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 11:58 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> I think we need to recognize that we've done some poor optimization
> >> for the majority of packager workflows. Even if we consider modules,
> >> the vast majority of components will never be modularized. Moreover,
> >> we already know that the overwhelming majority of specs are managed
> >> identically across branches.
> >
> > Yeah, indeed. I think this (optimization of packager workflows) was
> > never an explicit goal of people working on Modularity.
>
> And for that reason alone, it should have been sent directly back to
> the drawing board.

It really depends on a goal. If the goal is to provide simple parallel
availability, then there is nothing to complain about. Modularity
simply has (had?) different goal.

> Creating new tooling, without trying to optimize the workflow of the
> intended users of the tooling, was always doomed to have no user
> adoption community-side.

As Neal mentioned, it was developed inside Red Hat for the Red Hat
needs (and arguably Fedora needs too).