Re: do not remove arpack package from Fedora

Am 30.11.19 um 07:27 schrieb Chris Adams:
> I think the problem is that unmaintained packages are still
> unmaintained; drive-by changes by provenpackagers are not actual
> maintenance, because that's not a scalable organization (expecting
> provenpackagers to do all maintenance on random packages).

I agree. One thing that is missing in Fedora is a process to involve users in
the actual distribution maintenance (and I think this is mostly a technical/
tooling problem not a social one).

For example:
- orphaned packages
   - When a package gets orphaned, I think a bot should post a comment to
     existing bugzilla issues which explains the situation and asks the users
     to step up (this "call to action" process should come with detailed
     step-by-step instructions on how to take care of that orphaned package).

   - When I have an orphaned package installed I'd like to get a notification
     (desktop/server) so I am aware that this package may not receive security
     updates any longer. (And again "call to action" for regular users to step
     up.)

- package testing
   Manually checking updates-testing is too tedious and usually I don't want
   to install everything in updates-testing right away. But there are some
   packages which I like to get as fast as possible/which I can test easily.

   - So I would like to get some kind of "notification" when such a package
     goes into updates-testing + a reminder to give feedback.
   - As an extension we could ask users who use certain applications regularly
     if they want to try an update + ask them for bodhi karma after 1-2 days.

- Flag "co-maintainers wanted". As a packager I'd like to mark some packages
  where I'd like see more co-maintainers (e.g. for libraries I maintain only
  because another app uses them). Packagers for dependent projects should be
  be notified that this library is in need of further maintainers.

But of course all of that requires coding and "someone" to do it :-/

Anyway: lowering the bar to contribute to Fedora + integrating with Fedora
users is something the Fedora project needs to do.

Felix