Re: do not remove arpack package from Fedora

Am 29.11.19 um 11:18 schrieb Miro Hrončok:
> My effort is to raise the awareness about he failure. Despite my large effort,
> I cannot possibly fix all the build failures in Fedora.

I just wanted to mention that I appreciate your efforts.

I think the "fallout" from retired packages may be a symptom I noticed in the
past months: It seems as if a lot of Fedora maintainers are actually not
participating anymore. With the FTBFS/retirement policy this is just easier to
see.

<rant>
I had a lot of problems getting *any* response from several packagers even
when sending a complete pull request which adds just some simple stuff (e.g.
GPG source file verification). This was just simple packaging stuff not
something which might require actual coding skills.
Getting useful packages being added to EPEL8 has been a very frustrating so far.
</rant>

However I should mention that some packagers were being very helpful.

One thing which I think is holding Fedora back is the complicated process of
getting commit access to some packages. If the maintainer is not responding
the only thing you could do is to file a non-responsive maintainer ticket.
(And how long should I wait before doing this? If I file a ticket and wait 3-4
weeks before starting the process, usually I already built a workaround so I
don't care anymore about the Fedora package.)

Each package is somehow its own "island" and sometimes I think the packaging
process only works for "provenpackagers" and people in the stewardship-sig.

Felix