Re: Do we need a "No broken deps" Objective?

On Mon, 2019-11-25 at 13:13 +0100, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm a bit concerned about the growing number of broken dependencies in
> fedora, which leads to non-installable (FTI) and un-buildable (FTBFS)
> packages. For rawhide [0], I see almost 400 source packages and almost
> 200 x86_64 packages with broken deps. Especially the number of source
> packages with broken dependencies has steadily been growing since 29.

I'd say the main problem here is not a lack of an objective but a lack
of information. Back when the tooling still worked and we got a daily
email with a handy list of packages with broken deps, I and Kevin Fenzi
and others would regularly go through it and fix the ones we could fix,
occasionally we'd get down to zero, but we always kept on top of it to
some extent. Now there isn't a handy list any more, we just don't do
this as much because it's not as easy to find what needs fixing in the
first place.

The most useful thing to do here would be to fix up the tooling so we
get a reliable daily report again.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey