Re: What's the State of the Java SIG?

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 at 22:07, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Buildroot-only modules? Stuff Java packagers shouldn't use? Why should we
>> let one individual packager hold the entire Java ecosystem on Fedora
>> hostage with such antisocial diktats?
>
> Because the alternative is it all gets removed[*].

Or it may get picked up by somebody who does not impose such diktats. The
whole point of this thread is an attempt to find people willing to maintain
those packages in a more cooperative way.

It runs completely counter to the concept of a community distribution to
allow a maintainer to take a package private, hide it from end users, and
dictate what other packages can or cannot use that package. It also
conflicts with the technical goal of producing a self-hosting distribution.

> There is no one else taking this over unless you are volunteering your
> time to do so.

That is yet to be determined.

And if truly nobody picks up those packages, then maybe the better solution
is really to drop them entirely (pointing people to upstream JARs instead)
or move them to a Copr. (One can build modules in Copr, too.)

> Your comments on what you expect OTHER people to do for YOU come across as
> we are all your slaves or serfs. I really expect that isn't your
> intention, but this mode of communication undermines everything you say.

Now this is a fun inversion, trying to make it look like I am the one
imposing diktats on other people. I have never taken a package private, nor
have I ever tried to impose onto other people what they are allowed to do
with my packages and what not. (E.g., I have deliberately NOT followed the
recently introduced "package deprecation" process for qt3 and kdelibs3,
because I believe that, as long as those compatibility packages are
available, everyone should be allowed to use them without restrictions.) So
I do not think it is unfair for me to complain about such an attitude.

        Kevin Kofler