Re: which old version of fedora can read a old iRIX XFS filesystem ?

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 at 21:13, J. Scheurich <mufti11@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When trying to mount a old SGI IRIX64 XFS filesystem, current Linux
> versions complain with:

There are going to be a bunch of problems trying to mount this
depending on how old the partition is:

https://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ
Q: Will I be able to use my IRIX XFS filesystems on Linux?
Yes. The on-disk format of XFS is the same on IRIX and Linux.
Obviously, you should back-up your data before trying to move it
between systems. Filesystems must be "clean" when moved (i.e.
unmounted). If you plan to use IRIX filesystems on Linux keep the
following points in mind: the kernel needs to have SGI partition
support enabled; there is no XLV support in Linux, so you are unable
to read IRIX filesystems which use the XLV volume manager; also not
all blocksizes available on IRIX are available on Linux (only
blocksizes less than or equal to the pagesize of the architecture: 4k
for i386, ppc, ... 8k for alpha, sparc, ... is possible for now). Make
sure that the directory format is version 2 on the IRIX filesystems
(this is the default since IRIX 6.5.5). Linux can only read v2
directories.

>From http://xfs.9218.n7.nabble.com/Mounting-IRIX-disk-on-Linux-td34218.html

which I would follow to show how to know if you have a clean disk and
if it has version 2 directories.

> function not implemented
>
> So you have to use a older Linux version (e.g. 2.68).
>
> Which fedora version is old enough and are old fedora CD/DVD images
> still available ?
>
> so long
> MUFTI

Stephen J Smoogen.