Re: Modularity: The Official Complaint Thread

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 1:33 PM John M. Harris Jr <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thursday, November 14, 2019 11:15:15 AM MST Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > I'm not sure what you're asking here. I thought it was pretty clear
> > from the paragraph you quoted that containers are the recommended
> > solution for doing "parallel-install" with modules. Also, the
> > relationship goes both ways; Modules provide a trusted source of
> > software to run in containers (as opposed to running an image that
> > someone uploaded to a public registry).
>
> Well, containers are currently the only "supported" way to have parallel
> installation of any Fedora packages. In essence, we don't have a solution for
> parallel installation at all. If Modules are supposed to go with containers,
> why not tack them onto Silverblue instead of the main distro? From what I've
> read, it seems they would fit that usecase much better than a traditional
> distribution, and we wouldn't need to address the issues that come from
> modules overriding non-modular packages.

You're assuming that parallel-install is a thing that everyone needs
from every package on their system. Our research and surveys
determined that this was not in fact the case for the overwhelming
majority of real-world deployments. Most[1] deployments function with
a "one app per VM/container" mentality. In such cases,
parallel-installability is at best unnecessary and (such as with SCLs)
actively annoying to them. Modules offers the availability of multiple
streams of software like SCLs does, but it sacrifices the ability to
install them in parallel for the ability to install them in the
standard locations on disk so that other software doesn't need to
adapt to alternate locations (the number-one complaint received about
SCLs).

[1] Yes, I realize that "most" may not include you. Every environment
is unique, but we have to try and optimize our efforts for the largest
set of consumers possible. We reasoned that containers were a
sufficient workaround for the cases not following the "one app per
VM/container" approach.