Re: Modularity: The Official Complaint Thread

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 6:18 AM Aleksandar Kurtakov <akurtako@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 3:17 AM Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Aleksandar Kurtakov wrote:
>> > So people would prefer no packages at all over packages in modules?
>>
>> I see 2 reasons so far why some packages are module-only:
>> 1. because a dependency of the package is module-only. That is exactly what
>>    we want to prevent by proposing a ban on module-only packages.
>> 2. because the maintainer wants to maintain only one version and chose the
>>    modular one. Banning module-only packages will hopefully get the
>>    maintainer to either maintain the non-modular version instead or to
>>    maintain both versions after all.
>

> Here you seem to be missing the third option packager may choose - maintain none of them and say bye to Fedora. Which IMHO is the most likely outcome of all this.

Hi Aleksandar,

I agree that this has not gone well for both eclipse and its
maintainers in fedora.

I'm also a bit surprised that none of the current eclipse maintainers
has approached the Stewardship SIG and asked for help.
I think we could have prevented the worst problems for non-modular
eclipse (at least the core packages), but we just didn't know what to
do (and nobody told us).

While it might be too late now, an offer to help with making
non-modular eclipse packages work again (if that's even wanted
anymore) is on the table.
Right now, we just don't have the knowledge and manpower to do that
alone and without input from eclipse maintainers.

We probably should also start looking into the derelict Java SIG -
starting with pruning of members that are now AWOL, and updating the
Wiki page to actually reflect the current state. I think there
definitely *are* people who are interested in keeping (non-modular)
eclipse packages working, but - like us - they probably don't even
know where to start. Reviving the Java SIG might be a way to herd the
cats into the right direction.

Fabio