Re: Potential module for wxGTK3.1 unstable series / Audacity

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019, 15:09 Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dne 11. 11. 19 v 14:39 Kevin Kofler napsal(a):
> David Timms wrote:
>> Audacity development (git) requires linking against wxGTK3.1.
> Does it really? I cannot find this requirement in their git repository.
>
>> The normal Fedora wxGTK3 package is at wxGTK3-3.04 in F29/30/31/devel.
>> wxGTK3.1 is a development series which eventually leads to wxGTK3.2
>> release. Upstream is currently at 3.1.3 and expecting at least a 3.1.4
>> next year. Audacity 2.3.3 release is imminent (RC02).
> Ewww! Why is nobody complaining to Audacity upstream about that (assuming
> that they really do require 3.1)? Requiring an unreleased/unstable wxGTK (I
> would not count a development release as "released") makes no sense
> whatsoever for a stable release of Audacity. Why are they not maintaining a
> stable branch based on a stable wxGTK release? They should.
>
>> I would like to be able to release the next Audacity (once tested) when
>> it drops.
> I would recommend against doing that (unless you can get it to build against
> wxGTK 3.0 after all). Please wait until wxGTK 3.2 is actually stable and
> available in Fedora.

In the mean time, you can use Copr to provide updated wxGTK + Audacity.
Keeping the resolution of possible conflicts on the users.

Vít

I think the easiest solution would be to introduce a wxGTK "compat package" for 3.1, assuming it wouldn't conflict with the stable versions, and provide both the compat package and audacity builds based on it via COPR for testing.

Fabio