Re: Please, IMHO, resolve in some way the Samba MIT kerberos problem.

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 1:00 PM Dario Lesca <d.lesca@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Il giorno mer, 06/11/2019 alle 09.03 -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia ha
> scritto:
> > > Can the Fedora samba maintainers do that?
> > >
> > > Thank
> > >

> > They are very welcome to my work.
> >

> Then why do not use your samba.spec for build official samba package at
> least on Fedora?

Because the last 3 times I tried to start submitting packages directly
to Fedora I found the process very burdensome and frustrating, and got
no meaningful help when I asked. Also, it seemed clear that actually
building Samba with Heimdal Kerberos was unwelcome to Fedora or Red
Hat. And the last time I spoke with any of the authors of Kerberos
about the mess, it took them a while to stop laughing about the mess.
And yes, I know a bunch of the original authors socially, though not
professionally.

> It already contain the MIT or Heimdal Kerberos flag:
>
> %global with_system_mit_krb5 0
>
> Is sufficient set it to '1' for default packaging and who wants to use
> heimdal can rebuild it setting this flag to '0' via line command
>
> This is another way to resolve this issue
>
> Thanks

Well, yes. That's why I publish the suite. I was under the strong
impression that it wouldn't be welcome due to the announced desire
"not to support another Kerberos" in Fedora or for Red Hat as a
company. But since it works, works well, and Samba supports it, I'll
continue to publish the updates for a while. I admit that my packaging
relies extensively on Rawhide for updates, and I do resync
occasionally for maximum compatibility.

If anyone can resolve the Kerberos discrepancies and get full domain
controller working well for Samba with MIT Kerberos, I'll be happy to
congratulate them and buy them beer or maybe even dinner. I''m in the
Boston area, and hey, maybe I even know them.  I admit that I
anticipate that, with the recent purchase by IBM, that FreeIPA will be
dropped as a non-viable project, which would allow a a switch to
Heimdal based Kerberos with a future Fedora release. Since FreeIPa's
creation in 2007, I've not seen a single case where Samba, especially
Samba in collaboration with Active Directory, wasn't a better choice.

But I could be wrong. I've only been publishing Samba ports and
working with it professionally since..... 1993? In networks up of to
13,000 servers? So what do I know?