Re: Modularity and all the things

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 9:08 PM Randy Barlow
<bowlofeggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Randy Barlow replied:
> > > Yeah I don't love this either.
> >
> > I don't understand why people dislike compatibility libraries so
> > much.
>
> I'll qualify my position as not so much that I strongly dislike it, but
> more that I would prefer if the package metadata could formally store
> the data for me, rather than encoding it in the name.
>
> When we encode it in the name, it's a convention, but when we store the
> data in the package metadata it becomes a formal spec.
>
> For example, in Gentoo the Python package is just called "python", and
> because they know about slots, it is comfortable with me having several
> of them at once:
>
> $ equery l python
> dev-lang/python-2.7.16
> dev-lang/python-3.6.9
>
> In Fedora, we obviously do this too, but we don't call the package
> Python, instead calling it "python2" and "python3":
>
> $ rpm -q python2
> python2-2.7.16-2.fc30.x86_64
> $ rpm -q python3
> python3-3.7.5-1.fc30.x86_64
>
> This isn't bad, per se, but I like the elegance of having the package
> manager explicitly know that python-2.7.16 and python-3.6.9 are both
> the same package, just different slots of it. I mean, obviously, it's
> working out OK for us.

This feature of "slotting" multiple EVRs of the same name actually
already exists in RPM. DNF currently restricts this to packages that
contain one of the following provides:
* installonlypkg(kernel)
* installonlypkg(kernel-module)
* installonlypkg(vm)
* multiversion(kernel)

It's not terribly difficult to extend this functionality to apply more
broadly than kernels and VM images wrapped in RPMs. :)