Re: Modularity and all the things

On Tue, 2019-11-05 at 12:11 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> But, I still am having a hard time seeing the thing I quoted as a
> respectful
> approach. I avoided paraphrasing before, but I'm going to now, not to
> caricature what Randy said but to clarify how it sounds to me and
> what I'm
> reacting to. The message in entirety was:
>
>    I've pointed out a few times that other distros have solved the
> "too
>    fast, too slow" problem. In at least one case, as long ago as
> 2004. I
>    see it as a solved problem and I don't understand why we are
> trying to
>    solve it again.
>
> To, that isn't "hey, maybe you missed an elegant prior art we could
> adapt".
> To me, it seems to say "this effort is a waste of time -- this
> problem is
> already solved".

You admit here that you are putting your own interpretation into it.
Take that thought a step further and ask yourself what would be the
right thing to do in a situation where you know you are spinning
someone else's words?

We all make mistakes like this in our heads when reading text, but the
right thing for you to have done is to ask clarifying questions. "I am
not sure what you mean here, can you explain further?"

Instead, you assumed ill intent and proceeded down the dark path of
this thread.

> And mentioning "as long ago as 2004" seems ... well, like I said,
> inflammatory.

This means that Gentoo has 15 years of experience with providing
multiple versions of software streams to their users. As I said in my
last e-mail, it's the analogous "you can learn from the XSS
vulnerabilities that Firefox has solved along the way". If they've been
doing it for 15 years, they have expertise in this problem space and we
can learn from that.

There's a second reason it's relevant to mention their 15 year track
record: if they've been doing it 15 years, and during that time there
haven't been significant complaints (there haven't), this indicates
that their solution has a good chance of working well. A solution
that's faithfully served another community with the same problem
statement for 15 years is surely worth learning from?

How you got from "as long ago as 2004" to "Randy is disrespectful" is
troubling.

> This is not a respectful way to say this to the people who have put a
> lot of
> *years* into working on this problem and solving it in Fedora. Even
> if we
> take as given that other distros have solved the problem for their
> users, it
> being solved _there_ doesn't directly help us _here_. The work people
> did to
> get us to where we are now _does_.

Nothing I've written in these threads is disrespectful.

I've explained how studying the other distros' solutions helps us many
times, and you have not replied to those explanations with any
counters.