Re: Encrypted DNS in Fedora

Florian Weimer writes:

* Michael Cronenworth:

> On 11/4/19 2:17 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> We are not going to implement this directly in glibc.  You should talk
>> to a stub resolver on 127.0.0.1 instead.  We do not want to link a
>> cryptographic library into every process that queries an Internet host
>> name.  That also applies to DNSSEC.
>
> The transition to DoT/DoH makes the resolv.conf file obsolete. Any
> discussion on removing it entirely? Default to looking at a local
> resolver.

This is the default today.  The issue is that the defaults for the DNS
search path and some other options are wrong, and we will need a
transition to correct that.  Then we can probably remove the file,
unless something else is stored there.

Where would the dhcp-supplied DNS resolver, and DNS search path, go?

Ubuntu's default configuration appears to set up a stub resolver on localhost and dnsmasq. Made it somewhat difficult to do any kind of diagnostics, sine the real DNS server IP address seems to get stored entirely within dnsmasq, and not visible anywhere.

I like plain text files, in well-defined locations. Makes things much easier to troubleshoot.