Re: Fedora Modularity: What's the Problem?

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 3:33 PM Randy Barlow
<bowlofeggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Gentoo's solution to "too fast, too slow" addresses every requirement
> in this post, except for this one:
>
> On Mon, 2019-10-28 at 10:08 -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > Requirement: Packagers must be able to encode whether their output
> > artifacts are intended for use by other projects or if they are
> > effectively private to the alternative version. Packagers must also
> > have a way of finding this information out so they understand what
> > they can and cannot rely on as a dependency.
>
> I think adding this one feature to what Gentoo has done would be easier
> than the path that has been taken so far.

If we could operate on spec files and SRPMs, then the Gentoo solution
gets to be an interesting option.

It's technically possible, and with bconds and such, we have
conditionals for behaviors... I believe OpenPKG actually worked this
way. They delivered source packages and bootstrapped on your system
based on your settings.