Re: How do you Remove packages from the distro?

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 3:47 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 9:39 AM Daniel Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >  How do I go about removing packages from Fedora Distro.  I want to drop
> > oci-systemd-hook and oci-register-machine?  I would love to remove them
> > from f31 but it might be too late.
>
> Too late for Fedora 31, but you can retire them from Rawhide for F32 onward.
>
> Alternatively, you may choose to orphan it so that someone else can
> take it over, and if nobody does, it'll be auto-retired.
>
> The process for orphaning/retiring is manual right now, but I believe
> that will be fixed with the next Pagure upgrade. For now, you need to
> file a releng ticket.

You're probably confusing this with un-orphaning and un-retirement.

To orphan a package, just go to
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/PACKAGE/settings#giveproject-tab
for the PACKAGE you want to orphan, and give it to the "orphan" user.

To retire a package, just run
$ fedpkg retire 'REASON REASON REASON'
in the package's git repo with the REASON for the retirement.

However, to revert both processes, manual intervention from releng is required.

See: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_remove_a_package_at_end_of_life

Fabio