Re: Recommending proprietary software in Fedora

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 01:00:37PM -0400, Przemek Klosowski via devel wrote:
> It's a difficult choice. My understanding is that Fedora does not
> 'recommend' proprietary software, but rather allows it to be found,
> (package name) or specific functionality.

Yes. We talked about this at length on the Fedora Council -- and on the
Board before that. There's basically a big philosophical question about the
right response and what benefits free software (and Fedora) best overall. If
someone needs Chrome for their job (and it is sadly the case that Chromium
does not always suffice), do we do better by saying "okay, here's how you
can get that easily" or by saying "sorry, go somewhere else"?

This isn't a settled question in Fedora, and it's one that people feel very
passionate about in both sides. In the end, we decided that allowing the
experiment was worthwhile _as a means to the eventual end_. This is why
there's a section about free and open source software in the third party
policy, and why it includes the line "Wherever available, free and open
source alternatives are listed and users are encouraged to prefer these to
their restricted counterparts."

You can see some of the history of all of this here:
https://pagure.io/Fedora-Council/tickets/issue/57

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>