Re: module package exclusion behavior on EL8

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 at 19:28, Orion Poplawski <orion@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I continue to run into strange (at least to me) issues with modules on
> EL8.  RHEL8 ships a 'rhn-tools' module that ships only the "koan"
> package from the cobbler srpm [1].  When this module is enabled, I
> cannot install cobbler from my copr - dnf reports that 'cobbler' is
> excluded.
>
> Can someone fill me in more on this.? Is this expected?  I don't see
> anything in the module file (assuming I have the right module file) that
> specifically calls out cobbler for exclusion (such as a filter entry) -
> so is it just automatically creating an exclusion for all unshipped
> packages?

This is by design. I believe it is set up in the modules.yaml file in
the repository but it may also be helped/done with some rpm headers.

I think it is meant to protect you from say a perl-foo-1.2.3 which was
built for perl-5.24 when you have perl-5.26. It may also allow the
module owner to say 'yes I know you could install cobbler-N but I
don't want to support that if you are using my thing'. Basically a
side point of 'yes I built a cobbler to make this thing, but I odn't
want to ship a cobbler.. if they want it they can make their own
module with it.'

I leave it as an exercise to the reader when someone doesn't realize
this, builds the kernel, glibc, bash, etc for their module but doesn't
want to ship that.. and puts it in the filter

--
Stephen J Smoogen.